Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 220/31
    Given: 36/1

Ignore User

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Their jobs are just like ours. Slowly and systematically benefits have been removed or reduced, large training prerequisite, highly regulated, high career jeopardy, low flexibility and lowered pay.

Compensate poorly with a high stress/responsibility job and nobody's going to want it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Company
    Eagle
    Base
    DFW
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    EMJ
    Divorces
    0 & never will
    Level
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/11
    Given: 25/5

Ignore User

Not to mention being forced to work six days a week regularly.

Newbie Member
    Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/2

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Flugschlafen View Post
    Their jobs are just like ours. Slowly and systematically benefits have been removed or reduced, large training prerequisite, highly regulated, high career jeopardy, low flexibility and lowered pay.

Compensate poorly with a high stress/responsibility job and nobody's going to want it.

Compensated poorly? My son is a center controller and has been there for 3 years and his base pay is $130,000/yr. you can add another 6-7% to that pay for weekends and night differential. I retired in 2008 from ATC and my last full year I made $161,000 and that was no holidays and no overtime with weekends off. I don't know what standard you measure "lowered pay" and "compensated poorly" by but in my book that's not too shabby.
    Last edited by squawkoff; 10-14-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/2
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

If they raised the training age from 30 (I'm 33), it would be something I would really want to do right now.

Newbie Member
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/2

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Jersdawg View Post
    If they raised the training age from 30 (I'm 33), it would be something I would really want to do right now.
    The only reason they have an age restriction (31) has to do with retirement. You have to retire on the last day of the month that you turn 56. Retirement is 20 years of active ATC at age 50 or 25 years of active ATC at any age. 31 + 25 equals 56. Has nothing to do with ability of a 32 year old or older.

Company
    American Eagle
    Base
    DFW
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    ATR 72, CRJ 700, EMB 145
    Level
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 4/1

Ignore User

Agreed. I would have done it back when they offered 5 year leaves but I wouldn't have finished training before the age cut off.

Funny how they can twiddle 300hr commercial pilot to fly at an airline but lord forbid if I'm 35 and want to work atc.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/2

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by squawkoff View Post
    The only reason they have an age restriction (31) has to do with retirement. You have to retire on the last day of the month that you turn 56. Retirement is 20 years of active ATC at age 50 or 25 years of active ATC at any age. 31 + 25 equals 56. Has nothing to do with ability of a 32 year old or older.
    Not to kick a hornets nest or anything, but is raising the retirement age a terrible idea? We all saw what it did to our industry....

Company
    The Man
    Base
    La Garbage
    A/C Flown
    CRJ, EMB
    Level
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/2

Ignore User

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's not a controller shortage. It's a pay shortage. There are thousands of highly qualified controllers working over seas or at Walmart. Wait, I'm thinking of something else.

Company
    Oh boy...
    Base
    On my 4th one.
    Job
    Unrewarding
    A/C Flown
    C-152,172,182,340 PA-140 BE-76 SF340, EMB 145
    Level
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 220/31
    Given: 36/1

Ignore User

Is this compensation level normal for controllers operating D airspace towers between 0600 and 2130? Not everyone gets B class approach control.

Genuinely curious, I made my comment based on talking to one of those D tower guys, he certainly didn't clear a six-figure salary, and didn't plan on it until much later in his career.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/7

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Flugschlafen View Post
    Is this compensation level normal for controllers operating D airspace towers between 0600 and 2130? Not everyone gets B class approach control.

Genuinely curious, I made my comment based on talking to one of those D tower guys, he certainly didn't clear a six-figure salary, and didn't plan on it until much later in his career.
    Isn't that how most industries operate,I mean unless you are hired to work for NASA right out of MIT on their Mars program,you probably wont make over six figures in while in any industry,and dont give me that garbage,but wait,but wait,my friend who is a police officer in NY makes six figures and is in his second year as a police officer,most of that salary would pay for a decent apartment where they dont live amongst thugs in the Bronx,car insurance and the confiscatory taxes from their state.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0

Ignore User

Not to kick a hornets nest or anything, but is raising the retirement age a terrible idea? We all saw what it did to our industry....
    What did it do to our industry? Fix the pilot shortage? Make old, fat pilots suddenly get in shape, cut back on the donuts and lose 50 pounds?

ATC should raise the age to at least 60. Unlike airline pilots, they have a nice fat pension at the end of their career.

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/50
    Given: 75/9

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by squawkoff View Post
    Sounds like age discrimination to me? What about second career folks who wouldn't need the full retirement?

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
    Sounds like age discrimination to me? What about second career folks who wouldn't need the full retirement?
    Lots of federal agencies are doing the same thing,CBP for example has a cap on age for entry level,and a mandatory retirement age or 25 years what ever comes first.
    In my opinion is not descriminating at all,its called putting able bodies on sensitive positions throughout those agencies,they are trying to weed out the gummers that wont retire and rather die on the job at age 75, or people that retire from lets say,Federal DOT,and used to get hired at 42 for the border protection,which meant after 15 years some of those employees were just collecting pay checks or claimed some disability and collect federal bennies,its called double dipping and federal agencies are aware and rightly so of this schemes,unfortunately there are states in the union that dont see it yet.
    Moreover,I would just call it spreading the wealth, or the bennies,to paraphrase the great philosopher and dear leader of this country.
    As for your second career go to Walmart and be a greeter.

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/50
    Given: 75/9

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by RIGHTWINGMAN View Post
    Lots of federal agencies are doing the same thing,CBP for example has a cap on age for entry level,and a mandatory retirement age or 25 years what ever comes first.
    In my opinion is not descriminating at all,its called putting able bodies on sensitive positions throughout those agencies,they are trying to weed out the gummers that wont retire and rather die on the job at age 75, or people that retire from lets say,Federal DOT,and used to get hired at 42 for the border protection,which meant after 15 years some of those employees were just collecting pay checks or claimed some disability and collect federal bennies,its called double dipping and federal agencies are aware and rightly so of this schemes,unfortunately there are states in the union that dont see it yet.
    Moreover,I would just call it spreading the wealth, or the bennies,to paraphrase the great philosopher and dear leader of this country.
    As for your second career go to Walmart and be a greeter.
    most age cutoffs are in law enforcement jobs. The ATC one makes no sense other than for retirement. Some people may just want a decent paying job and not worry about the retirement... and frankly, that would be better for the taxpayers if they aren't getting full retirements

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Its considered high stress job cujo, do some research then we talk about it,most class d even some c airports ar3 been out sourced,the higher demand stressful airports still under the federal oversight and administration thus where u find the caps,but a 50 year old retiree from the NYPD shouldnt be controlling in LGA just because he wants the extra pension at the federal level ,I rather have a 25 to 30 year old graduate from the Vaughn college or from embry riddle do the controlling, lets give the younger generation opportunities,and if you already have a pension from goverment dont double dip,get a real job,how bout joining the army the cut out is 39 yrs old,and u can get a pretty cushy job there pushing paper too.

Thread Information