Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/50
    Given: 75/9

Ignore User

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    I know it is a industry wide statement, and I also know Omni does a much better job of training with the automation off than Atlas and it shows on the line. I sadly have many new hires that by 1200 feet AP is on and hand is already off the yoke.
    oh wow.... yeah, that wouldn’t go over well here. We’re required that the PF has hands on yoke/throttle under 10k AGL anyway, so taking hands off would be a huge no-no. Hand flying for us is not at all out of the ordinary. If it’s a crappy day and you’re working the radar and stuff, you’ll see guys use the automation more.

we still do a pretty real sim eval on interviews too and lots of guys get cut right there.

our new sim does hard/bounce really well, the compressor stalls at max are crazy.... after pushback, if you flash the taxi light, the lineman salutes then walks off... it’s a trip. The bird strikes are even cool, you can watch the flock on the visual before they hit.

did I say that I love my job?
    Last edited by Cujo665; 01-25-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Company
    Eagle
    Base
    ORD
    A/C Flown
    Jungle Jet
    Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/6
    Given: 5/1

Ignore User

I fly the airbus now and almost always hand fly to FL180. Just to keep that connection and confidence up. I have had one Captian admonish me for not turning on the ap after takeoff. I think he was just lazy and didnít want to spin the altitude preselect.

Fast forward to a departure out of SBA when at about 100kts everything dumped. Speeds, altitudes, vnav and lnav. Way too short to abort I just hand flew the aircraft and there was never a doubt as to how it would react. The only new part for me was no autothrottles. Aside from missing the first turn, I was unsure if the captain had gotten runway heading in all the chaos, and the turn was still depicted on the ND no issues at all.

I was so thankful for all my time that I had spent hand-flying. And as much as I enjoyed the 175 I learned so much more from the 145.

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/50
    Given: 75/9

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Jdflyer View Post
    I fly the airbus now and almost always hand fly to FL180. Just to keep that connection and confidence up. I have had one Captian admonish me for not turning on the ap after takeoff. I think he was just lazy and didn’t want to spin the altitude preselect.

Fast forward to a departure out of SBA when at about 100kts everything dumped. Speeds, altitudes, vnav and lnav. Way too short to abort I just hand flew the aircraft and there was never a doubt as to how it would react. The only new part for me was no autothrottles. Aside from missing the first turn, I was unsure if the captain had gotten runway heading in all the chaos, and the turn was still depicted on the ND no issues at all.

I was so thankful for all my time that I had spent hand-flying. And as much as I enjoyed the 175 I learned so much more from the 145.
    there just isn’t any suitable substitute for remaining and maintaining our proficiency. It’s the mark of a professional.

Level
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/170
    Given: 0/5

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Jdflyer View Post
    I fly the airbus now and almost always hand fly to FL180. Just to keep that connection and confidence up. I have had one Captian admonish me for not turning on the ap after takeoff. I think he was just lazy and didn’t want to spin the altitude preselect.

I'm glad you enjoyed the 175. That aircraft has truly been THE game changer for AAG and Envoy. A mainline sized aircraft that many have trouble distinguishing from a Bus or 73. The cadets do super well on both aircraft but truly excel on this bird. I don't think it's any secret that some of the more senior guys struggle to make the transition over to the heavy. The cadets on the other hand all breeze through as they've been trained for it from the time they go on the payroll as an instructor. Literally and figuratively it's the same as flying a Bus or Boeing. In the not too distant future, I can totally see Envoy with a 250 strong 175 fleet. (Wink, wink) Talk about your behemoths.

Company
    Eagle
    Base
    ORD
    A/C Flown
    Jungle Jet
    Level
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/6
    Given: 5/1

Ignore User

I flown with some of those cadets and most did very well until something went wrong. Then they end up way behind and struggling without the aid of the automation

Thread Information