Thread: FAR Part 121 Pilots Thoughts on Flying Modern Automated Aircraft (survey)

Newbie Member
    Level
    Overall activity: 41.7%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

FAR Part 121 Pilots Thoughts on Flying Modern Automated Aircraft (survey)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any Part 121 pilots can help me out by taking a survey about what they think of flying with automated systems in the cockpit. The survey is being conducted for research methodology for a graduate degree capstone project. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The link for the survey is below along with an informed consent disclaimer. The survey closes 02Dec12.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5MX533D

CONSENT FORM

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

I consent to participating in the research project entitled:

FAR Part 121 Pilots Thoughts on Flying Modern Automated Aircraft (survey)

The principle investigator of the study is: Michael Schepis

This research is intended to collect data from FAR Part 121 pilots of their opinions on how aircraft automation affects their manual flying skills. It is being conducted in order to gather research methodology for completion of a graduate capstone project required to fulfill a Master?s degree with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The research methodology being employed involves distributing a survey to various airline pilot associations and websites for feedback on the subject. The information gathered from survey results will be used for analysis to either prove or disprove the research project hypothesis that believes a decline of manual flying skills among FAR Part 121 pilots is occurring because of automation.

The survey is being solicited to Part 121 pilots. Any other responses to the subject will be disregarded since this research study is limited to Part 121 operations only. Anyone involved in flying for a Part 121 operation is welcome to take the survey as long as two conditions are met: pilot is currently flying or has previously flown Part 121 aircraft with automated systems (i.e. autopilot, flight management system, electronic flight instrument system, warning/alerting system, or sophisticated computerized flight control system, etc.) and voluntary gives consent to contributing information regarding opinions and experiences flying with automated aircraft systems. Participant discomfort, if any caused by this research project would be in the form of analysis of survey results and subsequent development of conclusions by the student. All information obtained from participants will be greatly appreciated as valuable feedback in seeking improvements to automation, training, and flight procedures in Part 121 operations.

Time required for the survey is estimated to be 10-15 minutes, depending on if comments are provided. Surveys collected from participants will be completely anonymous and will not be linked in any way to specific individuals who take the survey through the internet. Zero personal information will be collected from participants. Questions asked in the survey will be general in nature. The disclosure of survey results will be limited to the student and course Professor. It should also be noted that this study is an independent student activity and the research paper will not be published.

Participants may refuse or quit the survey at any time with no penalties. If a question is not understood or disliked, the participant may skip it without penalty. A point of contact for requests of additional information about the research study can be directed to Michael Schepis. Email correspondence is warheadpilot@yahoo.com.

Participant Acknowledgment

The individual above, or their research assistants, have explained the purpose of the study, the procedures to be followed, and the expected duration of my participation. Possible benefits of the study have been described, as have alternative procedures, if such procedures are applicable and available.

I acknowledge that I have had the opportunity to obtain additional information regarding the study and that any questions I have raised have been answered to my full satisfaction. Furthermore, I understand that I am free to withdraw consent at any time and to discontinue participation in the study without prejudice to me.

Finally, I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand the consent form.

Company
    Eagle
    Base
    ORD
    A/C Flown
    Jungle Jet
    Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/6
    Given: 5/1

Ignore User

Way to long to complete

Newbie Member
    Level
    Overall activity: 41.7%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

Yeah, I know...I cannot edit the survey much though at this point with people already having taken it. I edited it slightly. If you read the informed consent, it mentions that you do not have to answer a question if you don't like it...and in this case...don't care to take the time to take the full survey. I am just trying to collect some information from real world airline pilots for input into my paper. It will take those who are interested in the subject matter as well as those who care to make the effort to take the survey. The responses will provide great help in addressing my thesis points, that is why I made the survey the way it is. I am by no means a professional survey maker. It has definitely been a learning experience making the survey. I will say though that I have gotten some good information back so far from pilots who cared to provide what I believe is valuable input...

Thread Information