Thread: AA Pilot Recruiter & Pilot Shortage (video)

Level
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

AA Pilot Recruiter & Pilot Shortage (video)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Uploaded on Mar 28, 2018
    Capt. David Tatum, director, Pilot Recruiting & Development, discusses with Ron DeFeo, vice president, Global Communications, why pilot recruitment is important, and why someone should want to be a pilot at American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=UzQMQO_t0rw
    Last edited by ttot; 04-26-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 208/16
    Given: 66/136

Ignore User

He highlights AA's conundrum, that being THE airline that needs the most pilots in the future (by far) and thus at most risk in any pilot shortage situation. AA itself has no issues now, but in 5 -7 years ? In the interim, AA is also among the most heavily dependent on outsourced flying by regionals and that problem is here now and quickly becoming serious. That needed to be addressed and solved years ago and now that bird is way too slow, already below the glideslope and the thrust levers are firewalled with the approach lights rising in the windshield. Hard decisions are inevitable. Few will see this latest infomercial though and of those that do, I can't see what significant actions result of it.

Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/1

Ignore User

New rumors of the 80 reduction waiting until next year. Supposed to park 20+ this year. Most recent bid closed STL and even with the shake out zero DFW 80 pilots were displaced even though a bunch displaced from SLT (for some reason it's not STL) 80 to DFW 80. AA is carrying the fat. One rumor is because of the uncertainty of the regionals. As is the 80 goes to mostly former Eagle cities. If regionals start to fail then the band aid 80 will fill in this fall instead of parking half of the remaining 40ish

Level
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 569/34
    Given: 589/14

Ignore User

what happened for that big search for used 319's.
    Sir, can I have another.

Level
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/5
    Given: 1/1

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleboy View Post
    He highlights AA's conundrum, that being THE airline that needs the most pilots in the future (by far) and thus at most risk in any pilot shortage situation. AA itself has no issues now, but in 5 -7 years ? In the interim, AA is also among the most heavily dependent on outsourced flying by regionals and that problem is here now and quickly becoming serious. That needed to be addressed and solved years ago and now that bird is way too slow, already below the glideslope and the thrust levers are firewalled with the approach lights rising in the windshield. Hard decisions are inevitable. Few will see this latest infomercial though and of those that do, I can't see what significant actions result of it.
    What percentage of AA, DAL and UAL is performed by WO carriers? Non WO carriers?

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/53

Ignore User

saLoiuw.jpg

Guess you guys missed this. Looks like most think Envoy is a great place to work. Some conundrum.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinsFan View Post
    saLoiuw.jpg

Guess you guys missed this. Looks like most think Envoy is a great place to work. Some conundrum.
    Apparently not an accurate barometer of either Envoy’s worsening pilot staffing conundrum nor the job satisfaction sentiment of the pilot group itself. I understand your using this to once again attempt to manage pilots psyche’s because that’s your job, but I think both the source and scope of this info is either in question or misleading. It would be better for a neutral verifiable source to conduct a similar survey among Envoy pilots only and under those circumstances I think the results would be quite different and far less flattering. As for your bankrupt claim of Envoy having no pilot staffing conundrum, if that were true, they wouldn’t be throwing huge sums of money at new-hires, attempting to poach other carriers pilots or hiring captains off the street.

Splish-splash, flipper’s takin’ a bath.........
    Last edited by Beagleboy; 04-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Level
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 569/34
    Given: 589/14

Ignore User

Most responders were management. What you expect them to say.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr mojo View Post
    What percentage of AA, DAL and UAL is performed by WO carriers? Non WO carriers?
    I think a better question involves asking which carriers are doubling down hardest on a revenue source destined for significant contraction due to a clearly worsening availability of pilots willing to tolerate regional airline pilot lifestyles ?

Level
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleboy View Post
    Apparently not an accurate barometer of either Envoy’s worsening pilot staffing conundrum nor the job satisfaction sentiment of the pilot group itself. I understand your using this to once again attempt to manage pilots psyche’s because that’s your job, but I think both the source and scope of this info is either in question or misleading. It would be better for a neutral verifiable source to conduct a similar survey among Envoy pilots only and under those circumstances I think the results would be quite different and far less flattering. As for your bankrupt claim of Envoy having no pilot staffing conundrum, if that were true, they wouldn’t be throwing huge sums of money at new-hires, attempting to poach other carriers pilots or hiring captains off the street.

Splish-splash, flipper’s takin’ a bath.........
    saLoiuw.jpg

Didn't envoy survey all work groups? Your pictures doesn't address which work group that info is from.......I would adventure to say your graph is from the management work group. Nice try.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/53

Ignore User

All pilots were offered the chance to take the survey. If they didn't, well that's on them. I would guess an 85% or above participation rate though for the pilot group as a whole. I'm sorry the poll didn't go they way you wanted it. I guess you really are in the minority in thinking things are so bad here. It's pretty apparent that most are happy at Envoy, enjoying their careers and looking forward to flowing to American.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0

Ignore User

All pilots were offered the chance to take the survey. If they didn't, well that's on them. I would guess an 85% or above participation rate though for the pilot group as a whole. I'm sorry the poll didn't go they way you wanted it. I guess you really are in the minority in thinking things are so bad here. It's pretty apparent that most are happy at Envoy, enjoying their careers and looking forward to flowing to American.
    Figures management accepts 58% as an excellent number for those willing to stay. Last time I checked if I scored a 58% on a test i would fail.

Strive for mediocracy.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0

Ignore User

Compared to Alpa voting elections this wasnít so bad

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Another meaningless assessment. Unless itís a pilots only survey (by a neutral, verifiable source to prevent manipulation), itís essentially worthless as a true litmus of pilot satisfaction. A+ for effort at plying your trade, but F for objectivity and credibility.

Howís training going BTW ?

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0

Ignore User

What happened to the 3rd party Alpa survey last year

Thread Information