Thread: Can you commute (fly) to work? Or is that frowned upon?

Newbie Member
    Level
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

Can you commute (fly) to work? Or is that frowned upon?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quick question. I know that airline employees often get free flights. If you got a corporate position at a major airline headquarters can you fly in to work everyday? I was thinking about making a career change and looking into airline employment but I can't physically move for a few years. However, I do live next to two regional airports with direct jumper flights to two separate major airline hubs.

At first I thought it was a crazy idea, but then I realized that with the efficacy of modern air travel it may not be. Its probably more of an issue of how your potential employer would feel about you living further away than actual logistics. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/2
    Given: 1/1

Ignore User

Commute every day by air? Lol. You'll get fired in your first month. All travel is standby, and with full flights, other non-rev commuters, and delays is a recipe for a brief career. If there are multiple flights it might be possible, (emphasis on might), but you'll spend so much time in transit every day it won't be worth it.

Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/3
    Given: 9/54

Ignore User

Thousands of pilots commute to work by airplane. Big difference is that they only have to get on a flight to get to work once a week usually. And pilots have the option of riding in the cockpit jumpseat if the cabin is full (which happens often). Trying to get to work every day without access to a jumpseat would not be feasible.

Newbie Member
    Level
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    Commute every day by air? Lol. You'll get fired in your first month. All travel is standby, and with full flights, other non-rev commuters, and delays is a recipe for a brief career. If there are multiple flights it might be possible, (emphasis on might), but you'll spend so much time in transit every day it won't be worth it.
    Yea, I kind of figured as much. From scanning job postings it seems like unless you are a pilot, an attendant, or a mechanic there aren't many oppurtunities at most non hub airports.

Newbie Member
    Level
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

It seems like airlines don't have much in terms of field offices or regional management. I take it that everything is fairly centralized at HQ?

Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 138/1
    Given: 4/0

Ignore User

There are those that group their days off together and have an apartment where they work. So they only make one flight in and one flight out. However those are more versatile positions, not 9-5. I will say as a pilot. 95% of the time I'm in the cockpit jumpseat going to and from work. A luxury not afforded to other job positions.

Company
    Eagle
    Base
    ORD
    A/C Flown
    Jungle Jet
    Level
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/4
    Given: 5/1

Ignore User

I've being commuting for about 75% of my career. It is definitely much harder now than it used to be and I spend much of my time on the jumpseat.

If you are planning on commuting everyday back and forth I would agree that you would find that damn near impossible. If you are willing to have local accommodations where you are working and commute back and forth only once a week I think that is more probable. I know several managers who have chosen this option. Most of them work 10-12 hour shifts so they can be more flexible and still have time at home. Your job and position status that you are applying for will dictate how feasible this is.

Level
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/2
    Given: 1/1

Ignore User

It also depends on the type of corporate position. If it is high enough up there, you may get better travel benefits than regular employees. Certain director or managing positions get A6 or A4 passes which are positive space and can be booked directly.

Thread Information