Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/2
    Given: 2/0

Ignore User

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacuj View Post
    Yeah, and how does that 11yrpay-WentToUA sit with you now since you signed on with the Titanic?
    You called it at the time. For your satisfaction, my eagle classmAAtes that flowed have WARN notices and as of now I do not, but I will forward you a copy as soon as I get one to enjoy alongside yours.

Level
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

Ignore User

Yeah, and how does that 11yrpay-WentToUA sit with you now since you signed on with the Titanic?
    Dacuj,
    Thatís rich coming from you.

Everyone,
    Obviously this situation sucks for everyone. But, Iíd highly highly encourage you to consider possibilities like this pandemic when hiring resumes. Flowing to AA is an option, but in my opinion, itís not the best option.

Throughout this pandemic, weíve gotten bi-weekly video updates from Gary Kelly. He is direct and open with our financial situation, which is not good, but is vastly vastly better than the other 3 majors. Not being in the dark provides a breath of fresh air, and points everyone in the direction of pulling ourselves out of this hole.

Iíve heard people say that furloughs are just a way of life with the ebbs-and-flows in the airline industry. I disagree, I donít think it has to be that way. SWA will have no furloughs this year, that doesnít mean they wonít happen, but as of now, there are no plans to furlough.

And now we are at the beginning of additional expansion. SWA is going to make things difficult for its competitors over the next 5 years. They have the balance sheet to support $39 fares without raking customers over the coals with exorbitant fees. I expect to see growth. (See link below)

I guess this is my ďI told ya so speechĒ to everyone who ridiculed me for making the decision to jump ship for SWA. Sorry for that. Itís a weird mixture of feelings. Concern for my friends & former colleagues facing furlough mixed in with relief for having made my decision when I made it.

I hope everyone gets through this stronger than before. We will be hiring again. When that happens, look past the 787, look at the health & culture of the company.

https://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/so...1sgwfnPdUMN950
    Last edited by RobertRoss; 09-03-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Company
    DeathStar
    Base
    MIA
    Job
    Drink Coffee, Battle VNAV/FMS, Duolingo Espanol
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, 737
    Divorces
    N/A
    Level
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/3
    Given: 22/7

Ignore User

Coincidence?

(1) At the time, the RMS Titanic was the largest passenger ship afloat. The ship's length was 882 feet, 9 inches, and it weighed 46,328 tons.

(2) As of 2019, American Airlines Group was the largest by fleet size, passengers carried and revenue passenger mile.

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/50
    Given: 75/9

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRoss View Post
    Dacuj,
    That’s rich coming from you.

Everyone,
    Obviously this situation sucks for everyone. But, I’d highly highly encourage you to consider possibilities like this pandemic when hiring resumes. Flowing to AA is an option, but in my opinion, it’s not the best option.

Throughout this pandemic, we’ve gotten bi-weekly video updates from Gary Kelly. He is direct and open with our financial situation, which is not good, but is vastly vastly better than the other 3 majors. Not being in the dark provides a breath of fresh air, and points everyone in the direction of pulling ourselves out of this hole.

I’ve heard people say that furloughs are just a way of life with the ebbs-and-flows in the airline industry. I disagree, I don’t think it has to be that way. SWA will have no furloughs this year, that doesn’t mean they won’t happen, but as of now, there are no plans to furlough.

And now we are at the beginning of additional expansion. SWA is going to make things difficult for its competitors over the next 5 years. They have the balance sheet to support $39 fares without raking customers over the coals with exorbitant fees. I expect to see growth. (See link below)

I guess this is my “I told ya so speech” to everyone who ridiculed me for making the decision to jump ship for SWA. Sorry for that. It’s a weird mixture of feelings. Concern for my friends & former colleagues facing furlough mixed in with relief for having made my decision when I made it.

I hope everyone gets through this stronger than before. We will be hiring again. When that happens, look past the 787, look at the health & culture of the company.

https://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/so...1sgwfnPdUMN950

Completely agree. Waiting to flow should always be a backup plan only if you aren't street hired elsewhere first. The 5 year flow for new hires is now an 8-10 year flow at best.

Level
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/170
    Given: 0/5

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
    Completely agree. Waiting to flow should always be a backup plan only if you aren't street hired elsewhere first. The 5 year flow for new hires is now an 8-10 year flow at best.
    I know it's a surprise but I'm going to have to disagree. Prior to all this going down I would have said that if someone left for United or Delta then maybe and only a big maybe, it might be considered a lateral depending on where you were from your start date. And I only qualify that for someone still in their first year. As we can see from 11yrpay, it is shaping up to be a colossal mistake for him. 11 years in 2014 and you leave? Give me a break. He would have been a Captain on the 73 at AA and not staring down the furlough barrel. As for RobRoss, it seems that he has to come here regularly trying to justify his horrible decision to go to Southwest. Yeah, they've said they aren't furloughing, for now. But this thing isn't discriminating by carrier. Last I checked, Southwest BARELY flies out of the country and doesn't fly the 787, 330 or 777. Yeah Rob, enjoy your Midland overnights for the rest of your career.

Level
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 570/36
    Given: 589/14

Ignore User

Somebody check dacuj's medication, please.

Level
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 209/18
    Given: 66/145

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
    Somebody check dacuj's medication, please.
    I donít think that would help. Once that level of fantasy, delusion and denial is reached, the doctorís usually just shrug their shoulders and send the patient home.

Level
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Ignore User

......... As for RobRoss, it seems that he has to come here regularly trying to justify his horrible decision to go to Southwest. Yeah, they've said they aren't furloughing, for now. But this thing isn't discriminating by carrier. Last I checked, Southwest BARELY flies out of the country and doesn't fly the 787, 330 or 777. Yeah Rob, enjoy your Midland overnights for the rest of your career.
    Cuj: Working on my October bid now. Min guarantee for me in October is $13,000. Whatís furlough pay at AA?

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRoss View Post
    Cuj: Working on my October bid now. Min guarantee for me in October is $13,000. What’s furlough pay at AA?
    We’re still hiring, no furloughs, $10k min guarantee to sit home on reserve if senior enough. A few guys are picking up trips on their days off. Working 9-10 days for $20k total for the month. Pretty easy here.
    ATI opens their window every so often too. Atlas/Southern will be a good lifeboat. Right now their CBA needs improving, but they only have a few items left to TA so it’s looking better.
    Last edited by Cujo665; 09-06-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 209/18
    Given: 66/145

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
    We’re still hiring, no furloughs, $10k min guarantee to sit home on reserve. A few guys are picking up trips on their days off. Working 9-10 days for $20k total for the month. Pretty easy here.
    ATI opens their window every so often too. Atlas/Southern will be a good lifeboat. Right now their CBA is weak, but they only have a few items left to TA so it’s looking better.
    It will be interesting to see how AA’s post BK gutted pilot contract compares to Southwest’s or even Atlas/Southern type operations. My bet says the future AA Green Book is very close to Envoy’s with the exception of hourly rates, crew meals, 401(k) contribution and LTD all of which will be even more inferior to the top-tier airline employers than at present. AA pilots are staying in some real marginal places these days with industrial complexes the preferred location with increasing frequency.

The welcome soon won’t be “welcome to AA”, it will be “welcome to the regionals”.

Level
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 570/36
    Given: 589/14

Ignore User

It would look like envoys is today before we go through bk and water it down a bit again.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/4
    Given: 10/2

Ignore User

I know it's a surprise but I'm going to have to disagree. Prior to all this going down I would have said that if someone left for United or Delta then maybe and only a big maybe, it might be considered a lateral depending on where you were from your start date. And I only qualify that for someone still in their first year. As we can see from 11yrpay, it is shaping up to be a colossal mistake for him. 11 years in 2014 and you leave? Give me a break. He would have been a Captain on the 73 at AA and not staring down the furlough barrel. As for RobRoss, it seems that he has to come here regularly trying to justify his horrible decision to go to Southwest. Yeah, they've said they aren't furloughing, for now. But this thing isn't discriminating by carrier. Last I checked, Southwest BARELY flies out of the country and doesn't fly the 787, 330 or 777. Yeah Rob, enjoy your Midland overnights for the rest of your career.
    Peggy Sue, you really need to shut up.

Company
    DeathStar
    Base
    MIA
    Job
    Drink Coffee, Battle VNAV/FMS, Duolingo Espanol
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, 737
    Divorces
    N/A
    Level
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/3
    Given: 22/7

Ignore User

"Give me a break. He would have been a Captain on the 73 at AA and not staring down the furlough barrel."

That Captain above may not be in the direct furlough line of fire, but high probability of future displacement(s?) where he/she reverts to FO, forced out of base. There are a few pilots, junior to me, Captains in New York. Tell us all 'What Rolls down hill?'.

Company
    A great one
    Base
    Home Based
    Job
    Pilot
    A/C Flown
    SF340, E145, B767
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Thumbs Up/Down

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleboy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how AA’s post BK gutted pilot contract compares to Southwest’s or even Atlas/Southern type operations. My bet says the future AA Green Book is very close to Envoy’s with the exception of hourly rates, crew meals, 401(k) contribution and LTD all of which will be even more inferior to the top-tier airline employers than at present. AA pilots are staying in some real marginal places these days with industrial complexes the preferred location with increasing frequency.

The welcome soon won’t be “welcome to AA”, it will be “welcome to the regionals”.
    Interesting. Domestically the worst I've stayed at in 2.75 years has been a Hilton Double Tree. Usually it's a Hilton, Mariot, or other comparable hotel/resort. We get the Hilton Home2Suites fairly often domestically too, they're very nice, mini studio really. Overseas there isn't any one brand we follow, but all have been 4 star or better with exceptions in two locations, but that's just due to what is actually available there. Those two end up being like a Holiday Inn or Days/Quality Inn type experience.

In most domestic cases or overseas chains, we keep the points, although there are a few more places this year where we don't. The most absolute crazy best hotels are in Kuwait... more like a palace really. However, I've had enough of middle eastern countries and I try to bid to avoid them completely.

The one big thing I do not like has been being on the other side of the planet when something happens at home. Instead of worst case being home in 4-5 hours..... it can be 20+ to get home from some places.

I would advise anybody looking at the ACMI's to consider that. If being a long long way from home could be a problem, focus on the companies that have more domestic than international flying. An ATI, Kalitta, or Atlas/Southern will have many more lines that stay domestic or in this hemisphere than a primarily DOD carrier flying globally.

A very cool thing at Omni is retirement. Omni likes to hire retired guys as ground and sim instructors at $400 a day with travel, hotels and rental car provided. It's a good retirement gig. When I get closer to retirement I'll try to go into the training department, and when the big 65 hits, just change pay rates.
    Last edited by Cujo665; 09-05-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Level
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    DownloadsPosting Award
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 137/37

Ignore User

A Midland overnight is better than an UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE round trip.
    Last edited by NoOtPilot; 09-06-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information