PDA

View Full Version : N.Y. Pilots opt-out?

Simon Binet
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Can someone please attempt to clarify this. I understand making JFK and LGA a co-domicile, but isn't this essentially a voluntary displacement. If people don't volunteer, won't they just issue a displacement. What am I missing here? (Maybe the letter to the pilots clarifies this. I haven't seen it)

S

Cujo665
12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Can someone please attempt to clarify this. I understand making JFK and LGA a co-domicile, but isn't this essentially a voluntary displacement. If people don't volunteer, won't they just issue a displacement. What am I missing here? (Maybe the letter to the pilots clarifies this. I haven't seen it)

S

They don't need anybody to displace for the codomicile. We have the opportunity to if we don't want to be in a codomicile.
They may run a vacancy/displacement bid if too many opt out.

I think all 400 should opt out....

We could always bid back on the subsequent vac/DISP bid

Flugschlafen
12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't foresee too many opting to displace, if any at all. It would likely be a QOL issue, i.e. you're barely holding a line or staying off S1 and the combined bases would push you back to those kinds of reserve life, or if you're on reserve and want nothing to do with having to find your own way between JFK and LGA at your own expense - especially if you don't have a car and don't live there. I don't think the voluntary displacement is there to reduce the base size, though I may be wrong.

Cujo665
12-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't foresee too many opting to displace, if any at all. It would likely be a QOL issue, i.e. you're barely holding a line or staying off S1 and the combined bases would push you back to those kinds of reserve life, or if you're on reserve and want nothing to do with having to find your own way between JFK and LGA at your own expense - especially if you don't have a car and don't live there. I don't think the voluntary displacement is there to reduce the base size, though I may be wrong.

As the northeast has the most junior pilots already, if you are doing s1 or s2 you wouldn't be senior enough to "opt out" anyway. It says you have to go to same seat and equipment.

So, in spite of an LOA that says pilots may opt out, the reality is there is an entire group of junior pilots who are denied the ability to opt out.

Which is why I said we should all opt out...

Then after the AED brings the company managers back to life, they'll run a bid to backfill it. Just bid back then.

Incidentally, why do you think that reserves have to pay your own way between airports? As I read it, they do not

[EDIT] - A thumbs down? Really?

Flugschlafen
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
That's right.

It says sequences will start and end at the same domicile, that lines are to be built for specific domiciles and that the company will handle any transportation between the two airports that is necessary within the sequence or to return the pilot to the airport at which they started.

If you're a commuter and junior on reserve your choice to bid a specific airport may be trumped by a more senior pilot who may not have difficulty getting between airports, i.e. they have a car, or they can commute to reserve and don't mind swapping between airports for whatever advantage that may provide. Therefore the crashpad you had in Kew for reserve in JFK this month may not work so good when you get stuck with a reserve line in LGA. You now have to find a way to get to work, either public transportation or something like Kew Cab.

$$

Cujo665
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
That's right.

It says sequences will start and end at the same domicile, that lines are to be built for specific domiciles and that the company will handle any transportation between the two airports that is necessary within the sequence or to return the pilot to the airport at which they started.

If you're a commuter and junior on reserve your choice to bid a specific airport may be trumped by a more senior pilot who may not have difficulty getting between airports, i.e. they have a car, or they can commute to reserve and don't mind swapping between airports for whatever advantage that may provide. Therefore the crashpad you had in Kew for reserve in JFK this month may not work so good when you get stuck with a reserve line in LGA. You now have to find a way to get to work, either public transportation or something like Kew Cab.

$$

Reserves also get $200 a month that others don't. At LGA the majority of lines are not commutable... So line holders are in crash pads too... But without $200 a month.

Yossarian
12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Ah Cujo, with your seniority I'll bet you could hold one of those reserve lines and grab the $200 and put a smile on some poor jr schmuck's face. I guess one could spend the $200 on a second crash pad for the other airport. Will they make it $400 when they add EWR?

Cujo665
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I used a crash pad 1 time, and one time only. Never again. If they dump me in base with no hotel, I go home.

6.5 years. 1 late report on file, no MA's....